Looks Like Someone Has a Sixpack

chenyan94
 of the Mondays To be perfectly honest Charles Mann Jersey , the Derrius Guice knee injury is still crushing my football soul. Aside from missing out on the fun of unwrapping that present all season long, the rubber kind of hits the road when you realize that we are also all of a sudden missing a guy we easily could have asked to touch the ball 20 times in a game. We will of course move on, but this one hurts. For all the weirdness (not necessarily in a bad way) of working out how to feel heading into this season as a Redskins fan—we got a brand new quarterback after insane drama surrounding the old quarterback, the division is all screwy thanks to the Eagles (finally) winning it all and the roster has a lot of questions albeit with some possible great answers—the idea of Guice getting the ball on first down when the season opened was something I was hanging my hat on this summer. It happens and it happened. Preseason injuries are a reality in the NFL, and even if the league made substantive changes to the preseason schedule, this would happen. Rookie running backs are most certainly going to get that rep that Guice got that led to the injury—and rightfully so. If Guice took that injury late in the 4th quarter, I think we would all be gathering around Redskins Park with ill intentions, but that is not how things went down. I understand the concept of “Next Man Up” but I haven’t felt the desire to let that mantra help me recover from this. The bug bit us and it is on the Redskins organization to handle the emotional side of it as well as the logistical ramifications of replacing what promised to be a next-level skill player. In all fairness and respect to Chris Thompson, Guice was our best every-down running back. The plan was likely to keep CT25 in business for 10-15 touches per game, and my hope is that this plan remains in place. Assuming no other moves get made, the team will once again turn to Robert Kelley and Samaje Perine and ask them to handle a load that will keep CT25 from having to take the rock between the tackles the way he ended up doing last season. To be perfectly frank, unless a player who has proven to be dynamic in the league—and can still be—comes available, I am okay moving forward with the best running back corps the team can put together from the guys we have in camp. This isn’t me trying to sell everyone on the possibility of an unforeseen breakout season from Kelley or Perine (though Perine does still technically have the kind of upside that could make us excited). Instead, this is me trying to wrap my mind around the new reality for this team moving forward: our running game is officially on the shoulders of our offensive line. That may have already been the case—as it often is—but I thought Guice could find yards not paved for him by the line, whereas I think expectations for Kelley and Perine are more confined to what the line can do for them. I think our best chance is for this group to gain some chemistry and flow the rest of the preseason and hit the regular season as professionally as possible. It ain’t sexy, but efficient and effective running games don’t always need to be. What makes me able to swallow that thought at all is this:The 2018 Redskins season is all about Alex Smith. It was always going to be all about Alex Smith and it is still going to be all about Alex Smith. Having Guice in the backfield would have been a huge boost to Smith’s chances of guiding a successful and prolific offense, but Alex is a veteran capable of spreading the ball around to help keep the defense honest against us. Again, not trying to lie to myself to help get over the loss of Guice (I can lie to myself like a champ). Alex Smith’s job just got a little harder, but it has not turned into an impossible mission...yet.As I try and talk myself down from the football grief of losing a player I fell in fast love with, here are some things I have been saying into the mirror. As a sneaky second round pick, Guice is on the books for four years and $4.5 million, and his cap hit stays modestly at or just above $1 million per season over those four years. Assuming for a moment that Derrius can recover and be ready to go in 2019, we would still have a player capable of returning gads of value on that deal. Had he been drafted where people thought he would in the first round, you would be looking at a much more difficult value proposition. This doesn’t make the loss of him suck less for us right now, but it does provide guidance on our long view. I won’t turn this into a “Can’t Wait for 2019” party, but the point is that the Redskins aren’t bankrupt when it comes to hope...it just feels that way a little bit after watching our man hit the deck.As I was flipping channels last evening (and when I wasn’t watching gut-punch, bottom-of-the-ninth grand slams take down my team), I came across the best thing Redskins fans could use to self-medicate: last year’s NCAA National Championship game between Alabama and Georgia. Seeing our first-round pick Da’Ron Payne playing at an incredibly high level in the most important game on the NCAA schedule was nothing short of heart-warming. It reminded me that, no Colt McCoy Jersey , we did NOT lose our top draft pick as so many people have been erroneously stating the last few days. Our #1 pick is still a badass beast penciled in to start week one alongside his former collegiate teammate. Our defensive line is STILL on track to be something that should absolutely blow our collective skirts up, and if you really pay close attention, it should stand out when watching them play. Payne is a monster of a player and as long as he stays healthy through camp (a little dinged up now I know), the Redskins fanbase can still have plenty to celebrate in terms of the fruits of our draft. I don’t even think I would put that in any kind of silver lining category. It sucks to lose Guice, but Payne looks every bit the part of “top draft pick” and come September, we will have to learn to get as giddy about backfield penetration and run-stuffing as we would about a nifty 20-yard gallop from a young and exciting running back. The Kevin Hogan picture below the headline does have a purpose, and it is the conversation I was hoping to kick off in the comments section below: which player that may have been previously on the cutting block has new hope about making the team now that Guice is out? Is it as simple as saying one of the running backs? Is it going to still come down to special teams? Does it free up Jay Gruden to even contemplate carrying three quarterbacks? We’ll pick up this discussion tomorrow night on The Audible, from the 1st Amendment Sports basement podcast studio! Beginning with Alex Smith going to Washington when the league’s new year starts next month and Jimmy Garoppolo agreeing to a record-breaking deal with San Francisco on Thursday , several quarterbacks will find new riches and many teams will land new QBs in 2018.Tom Brady may have been denied another championship but not his coordinator, and some believe Josh McDaniels’ sudden change of heart this week in spurning the Indianapolis Colts was related to doubts about Andrew Luck’s health.Either way, McDaniels is staying in New England to help the Patriots bounce back from their 41-33 loss to Philadelphia in Super Bowl 52 .The Eagles aren’t just celebrating their first championship since 1960, but also an abundance of talent at the position in franchise QB Carson Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.Should Wentz’s recovery from knee surgery go well, the Eagles will have a huge bargaining chip to help restock their roster.Wentz’s injury rehab will be closely watched this offseason, just like Aaron Rodgers ` repaired collarbone in Green Bay and DeShaun Watson `s torn ACL in Houston.Those teams figure to be contenders for Super Bowl 53 in Atlanta if their quarterbacks are healthy. A dozen other teams will either jockey for their next star or dole out big bucks to keep the one they have.Kirk Cousins and Drew Brees lead an exceptionally large group of veteran quarterbacks lined up for big paydays and possibly new opportunities that includes the Minnesota Vikings’ trio of Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum and Sam Bradford.Garoppolo, Brady’s longtime backup, got a five-year contract from the 49ers that will pay him a reported $137.5 million to keep him off the free-agent market without forcing the team to use the one-year franchise tag.NFL Network first reported the terms of the contract, which is worth $27.5 million per season to top the previous record set by Detroit’s Matthew Stafford last year by $500,000 per year — but presumably will soon be surpassed by Brees or Cousins.San Francisco acquired Garoppolo from New England before the trade deadline for a 2018 second-round pick. He led the 49ers to five straight wins to end the season, pushing his record as a starter to 7-0.Teams that miss out on one of the prized free agents can look to the draft, which features Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph.The quarterback carousel began in the days before the Super Bowl when Kansas City agreed to trade Smith to the Redskins.The deal, which cannot be finalized until March 14, spells the end of Cousins’ time in Washington and hands the Chiefs’ job to Patrick Mahomes III, the 10th pick in last year’s draft out of Texas Tech.So, Smith Matthew Ioannidis Jersey , the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, moves on to his third team just as he’s coming off the best season of his 13-year career.“I think Washington is getting a phenomenal player, a great leader,” Rodgers said last week while discussing the league’s current quarterback commotion.“Now you’ve got Kirk Cousins, what’s going to happen with him? You’ve got probably five guys that are going to get drafted in the first round, Jimmy Garoppolo and his situation.“There’s a lot of moving pieces.”In the not-too-distant future, Rodgers could find himself one of them.Rodgers, 34, has two years left on his contract and if he stays healthy in 2018, he’ll be in line for a mega payday that could obliterate any of the deals that will be signed.Rodgers told the AP last week that he wants to play well into his 40s and might have to finish his career in another team’s uniform as Brett Favre did.“I think you have to be humble enough to realize if it could happen to Brett, it can happen to you,” Rodgers said.Among the teams looking for an upgrade are the Denver Broncos, who haven’t been back to the playoffs since Peyton Manning retired a champion two years ago.Super Bowl 50 MVP Von Miller said he trusts general manager John Elway to fix that in the next few weeks: “We have a Hall of Fame quarterback running the show who’s going to get the right guy,” Miller said.Miller has a tip for his GM, too.“No disrespect to Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch, but I would love to play with Kirk Cousins,” Miller said. “When Peyton came to Denver, we just took off. Kirk’s an elite starter, too. I could roll with that.”With eight trips to the Super Bowl and five rings, Brady is the gold standard of quarterbacks.Yet, this time he was outdueled by Foles, who showed just how important it is for teams to also have depth at the position.“To get in a shootout with that guy on the other team is probably not ideal for anyone — ever,” Eagles tight end Zach Ertz said. “The guy is the best quarterback to ever play the game. That team is phenomenal. They are coached amazingly.”Yet, the Patriots were beaten by a journeyman QB who contemplated retirement not long ago after he kept losing his starting job with his employers in perpetual search of a better option.Foles turned into a flawless fill-in after Wentz got hurt in December, stepping in to deliver Philadelphia its first Super Bowl title.Foles has one year left on his two-year deal, and his Super Bowl performance bumped his name up on the long list of coveted quarterbacks.“He’s amazing,” Ertz said. “The past three weeks he’s been playing out of his mind. People panicked when Carson went down. Nick, we had all the confidence in the world in him.”